Curtin’s Brighter Future Scholarships Program aims to establish individual endowment funds for each of our four faculties: Science and Engineering; Humanities; Health Sciences; and Business and Law, to allow each faculty to address their areas of greatest scholarship need as they change over time.
A message from the Vice-Chancellor
In 2015, a group of committed alumni joined us in our vision to provide scholarships to all students in need of additional support, establishing the WAIT Alumni Scholarships Campaign. These ambassadors wanted to give something back to the university that had helped them on their path to success and to support new generations of students to realise their talents and ambitions. A scholarships endowment fund was established to create a sustainable source of funding that would be accessible to students for generations to come.
With these fundraising efforts now gaining momentum, the campaign has been broadened and a new goal set of establishing individual endowment funds for each of our four faculties.
Our campaign ambassadors have used their WAIT and Curtin degrees to make their mark in the world across many disciplines and areas of influence and are now supporting ongoing generations of Curtin students to do the same. I hope you will be inspired to join them in this important endeavour by contributing to our scholarships campaign.
Professor Deborah Terry AO
Vice-Chancellor, Curtin University
- Peter Bradford, Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director, Independence Group NL
- Barry Upton, Managing Director, RUC Cementation Mining Contractors Pty Ltd
- Brian Mumme, Managing Director, Commercial Resource Solutions Pty Ltd
- Greg Howlett, Director, Cox Group Architects and Planners
- Ian Skelton, Deloitte Australia
- James Best, Chief Executive Officer, Future Plexus
- Lloyd Smith, Chief Executive Officer, Gerard Daniels Pty Ltd
- Neil Warburton, Chairman, Coolgardie Minerals Limited
- Roger Kwok, Founder and Managing Director, Arcadia Group Pty Ltd
- Tom Silvan, Chairman of the Board, Silvan Nominees Pty Ltd
How to invest in the future
By reducing a student’s financial concerns, scholarships can enhance the learning experience, increasing the possibility of course completion and higher scores. Students can stay committed to their studies, rather than having to work long hours to support themselves.Give now
The financial security afforded by a scholarship allows more time for students to volunteer or be a part of university programs that develop their leadership, organisational and interpersonal skills.Give now
Employers recognise the competitive nature of scholarships and consider it an accomplishment that can assist students in achieving the career they want.Give now
Supporting innovative thinkers
Successful graduates bring passion, skills and fresh approaches to our communities. They make our neighbourhoods economically more stronger, more vibrant and better places to live.Give now
Creating a culture of giving
Receiving a scholarship teaches the importance of giving back through philanthropy. Recipients understand the value of scholarships and may be more likely to donate in the future.Give now
What is an endowed scholarship?
An endowment is a restricted fund under management. It is comprised of donations (and bequests) that require the capital sum to be maintained, invested and the annual interest applied to fund priority university initiatives, such as scholarships.
The University’s endowment funds are managed by the Curtin Foundation, which tracks and reports against the performance of the principal sum and the distribution of funds.
How the endowment funds will be used
The faculty endowment funds that will be created through this campaign will support a wide range of scholarships for students from diverse backgrounds, including:
- scholarships to address financial hardship
- scholarships to support academically high-achieving students
- scholarships to support particular target groups, such as Indigenous students, female students, students from regional areas and students from refugee backgrounds
- scholarships to support overseas study experiences.